Sarah Land

Wednesday, November 14, 2007

it turns out that life is good is A2

somedays I have one of those moments when I realize that I am just plain happy for no reason and a million reasons all at once. I love this!!

somehow despite my life being super busy right now and Bill & I always seem to be one step behind getting things organized and I am always a few minutes late and I always have too much for one person to do so someone is always getting the short end of the stick and I get frustrated and we never have enough money and so many things are far from perfect. somehow despite all this I can say for sure that LIFE IS GOOD!

and on those days when life is not so good I just remind myself that most of the time-things are good.

I went to Zingermans yesterday. I love everything about that place-exotic, imported wonderful chocolates and olive oil right next to local farm cheese and meats and fresh bread (made with only a handful of ingredients and nothing scarey and dehydrogenated). I love it so much I want to hate it b/c it is so YUPPY or whatever. everything is delicious but expensive and it all seems to be calling my name.

in fact I love that whole part of town-kerrytown market area. I always have. when I was in college I lived there-just a block from the farmers market and it was wonderful. now I go there all the time. b/c there are even more reasons to love it-more great shops with awesome non-corporate kids clothes and a whole store devoted to spices! and another to wine and vintage to vogue which is a clothing & housewares store that is so perfect for yet still too expensive (avg shirt is like $100). great food & produce all fresh and local and mostly organic. and the food co-op is nearby and there are great restaurants there and sweetwaters cafe which is my fav b/c they have free wifi and couches and lots of plugs for the laptop. basically it all the best kind of non-corporate one-stop shopping.

when I go there I realize why I love A2 so much. all the years of growing up near A2 and my parents working there and all the time I was there in college with my self-centered student attitude-basically many years in & out of the A2 community made me jaded & I thought A2 really wasn't that great and the weather sucked in MI and people are snobs and yuppies and that people just like to say how great A2 is b/c it makes them feel cool. and it turns out I was slightly right and mostly WRONG at the same time.

turns out I AM one of THOSE people who loves it here. haha. oh the irony. it is truly an "island" in MI. you can actually find things in this community that are not normally available in small-town midwest. you will have to pay extra for these luxuries but you can find them. and that rocks!!! I can't always afford it but just knowing ti is here is nice. despite the general somber mood that seems to have crept over most of MI-in A2 there is tons of music and random activities you would not even realize are happening (book signings, story-time, activist meetings, art shows, tea-tasting) and you can find like minded people and lots of different people and lots of diverse food and there are so many options for kids schools and programs-there are actually elementary schools that are focused around environmental education, organic gardening, and creativity. I love it!!!

AND it turns out that the weather is great! it's is not as bad I remember it. now maybe this is from climate change but either way MI scored!@!! there are many sunny gorgeous days and not so much rain and winter is poo but when ti is over the spring is marvelous.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home