random links
cool new website of the day called wishing fish
ask the ecogeek
baby bottle care & concern. I know I've emailed people about this before and it seems like some sort of scare tactic but really truly please look out for transparent plastic (polycarbonate) baby bottles and sippy cups bottles. they really do leach a toxic chemical if they are not used or washed properly-this means NO dishwashing or microwaving EVER. here is a recent article from a mainstream magazine called Parenting. instead choose non-transparent or glass bottles/cups or hunt down a store that sells bottles that are labeled bisphenal A-free (born-free brand).
also here is a site with natural and safe baby food/drink products-greenfeet.com
another great natural living shop site-our green house
I prepare most of Fin's babyfood at home. I have found the baby food processor I got as gift to be very inferior. our small smoothie blender has proven to be better but annoying to clean the mush away from the blades. also the AWESOMEST thing I have used the the KRAFTFULL chopper from IKEA. it is cheap and hand-powered and chops things up to a perfect size for Finley since he prefers to east small pieces of food rather than mush.
also-all of you moms & soon to be moms check out this website database that rates the safety of various commonly available baby skincare products-not trying to scare you but please check this out and then you can be informed to make better choices in the future. I really like all the California baby care products-it is worth the extra $$$
ideas on trying to live your values-the pressure of the uniquely american culture of over-consumption and unhealthy expectations that just lead to more stress and lower quality of life. an extreme but admirable example of how to de-rail the unsustainable lifestyle most americans live is the book "your money or your life"
along the same line but maybe something that we can grasp a little easier- the principles of living simply
along this line-Shannon-this is the book I was telling you about on the phone yesterday. I got it from my cousin Emmalia (BTW thx so much). Shan-I am still going to send it to you in the mail.
nice answers to a difficult question- oh the joy of learning how to be a parent in this modern world
all this recent news and scares of lead in children's products manufactured in china really underscores the fact that lead poisoning is about more than just paint used in houses before 1970! here is a link to a website that outlines some facts on lead exposure in children and what parents can do. even though I don't think Finley has been exposed to any of the chinese-made toys with lead-laden paints I am still going to request that a blood test be done at his next dr appt. we do live in an older home & Finley's school is in an older home in Ann Arbor and since he is crawling around & very mobile & adventurous-he is at high risk for exposure.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home