global warming in my yard
from my garden's and yard's perspective this year has been exceptional in many ways. all the buds started coming early in March b/c it was so mild and then all of a sudden during the 1st week of april we had a terrible cold-spell (15 degrees) for several days which killed some things and fried half the buds on my pear tree. It did far worse damage in the middle of the country b/c their fruit tress were further along due to the warming trend. just goes to show how truly fragile the non-local food supply is-and american's depend on this everyday. it is time for a new OLD way of thinking. eat, buy, live LOCALLY!
whatever-I meant to write about my garden not rants about the vagaries of modern day american life.
we have had 2 really dry warm weeks and yesterday we had a ton of drenching rain but everything soaked it all up so everything is growing and flourishing-you can actually see things growing and sprouting. there is a noticeabel difference from yesterday to this morning! I love it.
so...the lilacs bloomed about a week and a half ago and are still going strong and fragrant. lovely. but a little earlier than I remember. The grass needed its first cutting long ago and will get it this weekend. right now it is growing in huge tufts that looks like little fairy mounds covered in sparkling dew.
the leaves are fully out on many trees and our "natural" fence is functioning again in the back of our yard-obscuring the neighbors and making me forget why I ever wanted a real fence-but I am sure I will remember this fall after all the leaves are gone again.
we got a bunch fo plants from the botanic gardens plants sale and I will get some more this weekend from growing hope plant sale. I want to get a rain barrel too from groweing hope.
I am excited to plan my garden. I am going to have a few pots with climbing plants on the deck instead fo in the garden plot this year.
also I am going to start my lavendaer "mini farm". I am so excited. I just love lavendar and I am going to start learning all aboiut it so I can make wonderful things and harvest the flowers etc. I amstarting small with only a few plants and some seed but every ywear I will build it up until we move and then I wil have to start all over again but someday I will be ready for my farm!!!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home