Sarah Land

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

February=viruses

Turns out Fin was getting sick again on friday and he had a bad
weekend of being very congested and having a gross cough and having
trouble eating due to the snotfest. So we went to the doc yesterday
but they said it was just another virus but we are all "watching" the
cough to make sure it is not a sign of something more serious.

Since the beginning of January we have been waiting to get Fin's 4 month immunizations. I was planning to spread the various shots out over the month (1 each week) rather than getting them all at once which I think is ridiculous-too much vaccine for such a small body and of course as a mom in the era of autism, I can't help but have some concerns and reservations about the connection between the super immunization of our babies and neurodevelopmental disorders. I have read all the science, the CDC guidelines, and even the pseudoscience as it may be and I have done my best to educate myself on all the options and unlike alot of people, I actually understand all the language in the scientififc literature. Despite this, I am still not convinced that there is no relationship b/n extensive infant immunization that is now recommended and the increase in neurodev d/o's since the early 90's. Of course on the other hand, I agree with the medical and community health argument that childhood immunization has irradicated and reduced so many many diseases. But in the end I am going to go with my instinct as a mom and my instinct tells me that giving an infant 12 or 15 vaccinations at a single doctor visit is absolutely ridiculous-even if they are combined into only 3 or 4 shots and supposedly no longer contain the heavy-metal containing preservatives that have been linked (albeit dubiously) with autism. And this is done 4 or 5 times BEFORE the baby is 1 year old. I am just not so sure about whether this is the right thing to do or not. Hence I decided that it would be wrong to deprive my child of the benefits of modern medicine including vaccines however he will not be receiving them by this recommended regimen of so many vaccines all at once. So I am going to have my doc administer 1 shot every 2-4 weeks and eventually we will be current with the CDC recommendations.

Since Fin has been sick at his last 2 doctor appts, he did not receive any vaccinations but now that he is in daycare I realize that it is very important that he be protected from the handful of diseases that are going around our community, particularly whooping cough. So he got a DTaP shot yesterday (of course in this era of combined vax-this shot also included polio and hep B).

Fin got a dose of tylenol cold this morning and went to daycare today.
so hopefully he has a good day despite the cold. Of course now Bill &
I also have the baby's cold virus so we will all be suffering together
this week-ugh.

On a brighter note, we finally decided on a new vehicle and we are
leasing a new Subaru outback. It is really beautiful and much better
for our family now that we have Fin. We got the Toyota truck cleaned and
shiny and ready for showing and we have already been getting many
calls on it so we expect to sell it sometime in the next few weeks.

Fin continues to get so much stronger each week. He has been using his johnny jumper every other day or so and he just loves it. now he has started to jump and try to dance when we stand him on our laps. It is pretty funny and he thinks so too. He is shaking his rattles and handling his toys so much better lately and he is almost sitting up by himself. he can do it for brief times but then falls forward, back or sideways and looks at us like he has not idea why he just fell over.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home