Sarah Land

Monday, May 29, 2006

Memorial Day

Thanks to all the people who have given their lives, limbs or sanity for our freedom. I don't agree with the use of force to spread the ideology of a nation or a religion but I do have great respect for the brave people who must fight in and provide support for the battles.

I hope for a future in which soldiers are used to fight in the name of humanity to battle illness, hunger, slavery, genocide, and environmental crimes rather than to fight for money, limited resources, and power in the name of "god" or "justice" or "freedom" or "democracy". I hope for a future in which governments don't hide behind the guise of "leading" or "protecting" their people but rather actually represent and speak for their people and truly act according to the wishes of their people.

OK that's it-no more politics. I am sure there are lots of people out their who do not agree with me and I respect those opinions and I expect that others will respect my opinions. I believe that on Memorial Day we should not only give thanks for and relfect on the sacrifices people have made for our country but also take the time to think a little bit about our own beliefs and how we can educate ourselves sufficiently to be able to express our beliefs and act on them when given the opportunity.

So this weekend has been incredibly hot for Michigan in May with 85-100 degrees temps across the state. It really is ridiculous considering that it is almost NEVER nice weather on Memorial day weekend-usually it is 50-65 and rainy and the weekend is spent trying to BBQ without getting rained on and freezing b/c it is cold & wet yet you are still wearing shorts and sandals in protest of the crap weather. Instead this year it feels like the 4th of July! Unfortunately since I am pregnant I am feeling the first annoying sensations of the dreaded pregnancy-associated water-retention/swelling in hot weather. It sucks. My hands, arms, and feet feel heavy and weird. It is not too bad but defintiely not pleasant. I have been forcing myself to drink more water and cut down on salty foods b/c I know that will help. However the reality that I have 3 more months of this- is just now sinking in.

I planted my vegetable garden this weekend-tomatoes, peas, zucchinis, cucumbers, eggplants, pumpkins, onions, and a few herbs and some marigholds to keep the bugs down. Bill continued to work around the yard getting things in order. It finally looks very nice and everything is in its "place". In the last few weeks we have made great progress on our list of projects and once we get back from our travels in June, we will be ready to start some of the painting and to get more serious about preparing the house for the baby.

I had another doctor appt last week and the doc said everything has been going well. My belly measures exactly right and the ultrasound results all came back normal with the baby measuring about 22 weeks on May 1. I was quite relieved to hear that the radiologist said the baby was looking normal b/c I still have that underlying anxiety about this whole thing. My weight has been slowly but steadily increasing-I have gained about 20-23 lbs total so far and the doc said this is right on target. I feel much larger and blimpier than normal but everyone says I look good for 26 weeks pregnant so I am going to listen to them and not myself for once! The results from my glucose tolerance test came back normal but my hematocrit was low so the doc said I either needed to eat more meat or take iron supplements. Since meat is not much of an option for me, I am going with the supplements.

Todayt we are headed out to my parents for a BBQ and relaxing by the lake for the rest fo the day today. Even though it is a 4 day week, Bill & I both have a really busy week ahead of us. We will be working alot as well as getting everything lined up for the travels to Colorado & Utah. We are so excited for our trip and very much in need of a vacation. Can't wait to see our friends and to get back out to redrock country for some camping and adventure!

Jess, Brett, Aunt Chrissy, and Uncle Chris are off to France for a lovely excursion. I hope they have a wonderful time and come back with inspiring stories.

Georgia is back today from visiting Matthew in Atlanta. I can't wait to see her.

Hannah got almost all A's in school and made 3 goals in 2 LaCrosse matches this week and got a scholar athlete award at the LaCrosse awards banquet. I am so proud of her-she is so cool.

I am 26 weeks this week. I can hardly believe it. only 14 weeks to go!!!
Love,
-Sarah

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home